Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

About mountains

It has been awhile hasn't it? We are nearing the end of October 2013. Ever since the last post, so many things have happened. One, the boyfriend is back and will be back for the next couple of months till his next course in the US. 

I cleared my first semester and right now, is supposed to begin studying for the current semester's exams. I am taking 3 compulsory and 1 elective module. First paper is on the 12th of November. Just 2 days after I come back from a school trip. 

School trip!! The last time I went for a real overseas trip was in 2010. Let's not count the overseas camp to Tanjung Leman in Mersing, Johor. As I was saying, the last time I took a plane with students and other teachers was in 2010 to Kota Kinabalu. It was a trip for the student leaders to hike up Mount Kinabalu. Climbing the mountain with a torn ligament was a great experience for me. Something forgettable happened though, I was just glad no one died. Yes, it was that real. 

This time round, I was being roped in to follow the Sec 3 NT students to a Values In Action trip to Surabaya. I didn't realise that we were going to trek up another mountain. Well, a volcano to be exact, an active volcano! For your information, Mount Bromo last erupted 3 years ago. Smoke spews out of it everyday and occasionally during special occasions, villagers will sacrifice animals and food to appease the gods. I was a little apprehensive when I first heard about climbing the volcano. Eventually, after a little net search,I  found out that Mount Bromo is just half the height of Mount K. The soil is soft because of the ash and that it might get tiring after awhile. Think running on the beach with soft sand. I am excited to reach to the top and watch the sunrise. I am planning to do a timelapse with Ben's Gopro too! 

The VIA components of the trip will be the students having a mini-teaching session to the primary school students of a primary school at the foot of the volcano. Plus, we will be creating a pavement for them in their school. You read it right, we will be doing construction work! I am pretty stoked about that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment